So stop baking your Pi manually. MakeMyPi automates the process. It even configures the WiFi for you (assuming you're using a dongle that's supported by the OS, Raspbian Wheezy).
Visit the project on GitHub
View an asciicast of the script in action
|MakeMyPi in action|
(Sorry, but right now, it only works from a Mac.)
All you have to do is:
- Make sure your own public key is in ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub (which is the default location)
- Follow the easy configuration instructions
- Run the script and follow instructions; it will ding at you when it needs your attention
MakeMyPi can do the following for your Raspberry Pi:
- Download an operating system image for you, if necessary
- Write the operating system image file to the SD card
- Install its own public/private key pair that you provide it
- Authorize your own public key to log into it
- Configure network & wifi (assuming you use supported hardware)
- Create useful aliases
- Install helpful and necessary packages
- Run your own custom provisioning script
Basically, it takes the pain away. No more forgetting how to do certain foundational things. In about 5 minutes, I have a working Raspberry Pi, configured just the way I want, on a brand new SD card.
Have fun. Contribute. Go crazy. Enjoy your pi.